Abhay, who was a part of the Gandhi Fellowship, Piramal Foundation's two-year program, is now a social entrepreneur helping Indian low-fee private schools provide holistic education to every student.
During his time in the Fellowship, he underwent a deep transformative process of self- discovery and personal change directed towards converting personal dreams into public reality. He worked with four government schools in the tribal belt of southern Rajasthan, where he helped the Principals and teachers set up systems to improve children's development.
Being a Bombay-bred kid, the two-year rural immersion transformed Abhay. He learned much more from the communities he served, than contributed to them. He understood the gaps in India's Public Education System, its implications on these communities and realised how fiercely obsessed education system is with student's academic growth but completely fails to provide for their socio-emotional and life skills development. Children are prepared to become obedient followers but not thinkers, artists or even responsible citizens. =
Abhay decided to change this.
The upSchool Project
The Government of India, through its campaign for Universal Education (Sarva Shiksha Abhiyaan), has achieved 98% enrolment in elementary classes. But more than 75% of these students drop out before reaching College. India, since 2000, is witnessing a migration of students from the Public to the Private schools. Despite these shifts, the learning levels of students are at unprecedentedly low and are further deteriorating.
In India, the discourse around education quality has typically been limited to educational attainment, improvement in test scores and not around life-skills or socio-emotional skills.Students lack life skills, socio-emotional skills to become self-aware and responsible citizens of the society.
The upSchool Project aims to change the discourse by initiating dialogue around non-academic skills like socio-emotional skills, life skills, citizenship and value education etc. At The upSchool Project, Abhay and his team currently work with 22 schools across the states of Madhya Pradesh, Jharkhand, Uttar Pradesh, Maharashtra and Tamil Nadu.
From the pilot study conducted in the academic year 2017-18, we learnt the following-
Schools spend over 38% working days towards exams.
Despite being regular in attending classes, students performed only marginally better than students in government schools.
Schools disregard student’s holistic development by overly focussing on academic scores alone.
Teacher salaries are abysmal, probably resulting in poor talent acquisition in schools
Hierarchical and autocratic environment in schools result in low job-satisfaction and ownership amongst teachers
Schools do not invest or support professional development of teachers resulting in outdated pedagogy in classrooms.
In the last 12 months, The upSchool Project has advocated for setting-up organisational processes focusing on Teacher Development across all Norbertine Schools. These organisational processes, we believe, provide a platform for self-learning, peer-learning and coaching for teachers.
As of April 2019:
50% Norbertine schools have regular Professional Learning Community meetings. PLC meetings have encouraged peer-learning and enhanced collaboration amongst staff.
25% Norbertines schools have Teacher Resource Centres. These are repositories of books, journals, digital content etc. selected by teachers, Principals and USP team on topics ranging from curriculum to hobbies. TRCs encourage self-learning amongst teachers.
25% Norbertines Schools are reviewing their examination process to make it diagnostic in nature. They are also trying to reduce the time spent on exams.
60% schools have planned regular Parental Engagement. Schools have design surveys to understand the student’s behaviour at home.
25% schools conducted ‘Teacher Job Satisfaction Survey’ to understand satisfaction levels of teachers. 100% schools plan to conduct TJSQ annually.
25% schools have drafted the Year-Planner incorporating the organisational processes and practices for holistic development for students. 100% schools will have Year-planner by July 2019.
At Piramal Foundation Group (hereinafter referred to as "Foundation"), we take your privacy very
seriously and are committed to protect your personal data. Foundation includes all the intiatives
of Foundation. This Privacy Notice sets out the way in which we collect, use, disclose, transfer,
and store your personal data when you use our website or other digital platforms.
You are advised to carefully read the Privacy Notice before using this website.
Please note that our website and other digital platforms may contain links to third party websites / digital platforms which are provided for your convenience. We are only responsible for the privacy practices and security of our own digital platforms. We recommend that you check the privacy and security policies and procedures of each and every other website / digital platform that you visit from our website.
Information Gathering and Use
We collect information from you in a number of ways, for example when you:
• Make a donation
• Sign up to our campaign
• Sign up to stay updated
We won’t collect or record your personal information unless you choose to give it us.
Use of Personal Information
We use the information you give us in the following ways:
• To make sure we have an accurate record of all the donations we receive.
• To email you with news and information about Foundation and our campaigns, but only if you have agreed to this.
• To make sure you are receiving the most appropriate and relevant information for you.
• To find out more about you and the people who are visiting our website, donating or joining our campaign.
Privacy of our email lists
• Individuals who join our mailing lists via our website or through our campaigning engagements are added to our email database. We do not sell, rent, loan, trade, or lease the addresses on our lists to anyone.
• Cookies are pieces of electronic information which will be sent by Foundation when you use our website. These will be placed in your computer’s hard disk and enable us to recognise you as a user when you next visit.
• You can configure your browser so that it responds to cookies the way you deem fit. For example, you make want to accept all cookies, reject them all or get notified when a cookie is sent. Please check your browser’s settings to modify cookie behaviour as per your individual behaviour.
Security & Protection of Data
• Foundation uses well-recognised and proven technology for payments. Payment information is transferred by the use of an SSL connection which offers the highest degree of security that your browser is able to support.
• Several layers of built-in security, including an advanced firewall system, encryption of credit card numbers, and use of passwords, protect the collected information.
External Web Services
• We use a number of external web services on our site to display content within our web pages. For example, to display video we use YouTube. As with the social buttons, we cannot prevent these sites, or external domains, from collecting information on your use of the content we embed on our site.
Contact us :
Welcome on this Site dedicated to the Piramal Foundation and accessible at the following URL :
do not agree with any of the terms mentioned herein, do not use this site. Piramal Foundation reserves the
2. Access to Site: This site is accessible only to people who are of the age 18 years or above and have available a valid e- mail address. In case of minor, prior authorisation of parents is required. For the purpose of sharing experience/opinions: User accepts that the data/information/contents of the blogs submitted by them to us and that is stored in our information system is accurate and acts as proof of users identity. Further all information and comments given by the user shall be deemed to be their own views/opinions and are given by them solely at their own will and accord and Piramal Foundation takes no responsibility as to the individual views expressed on this site by the User
3. Intellectual Property Rights: (IP) Piramal Foundation hereby grants to the User, the right to use the Services in accordance with these terms, and for no other purpose. Please note that all elements contained on this Website including all individual articles, columns and other elements making up the Services including but not limited to designs, images, marks, text, video’s or any other element are protected by intellectual property rights, International Treaty provisions and/or other proprietary rights under the laws of India and are Copyrighted work solely owned by Piramal Foundation and/ or its Suppliers. The development of this Site represents a significant investment and work in common on the part of our teams. For this reason, except as expressly stipulated herein, we have not granted you any right other than that of access to the Site for your strictly personal and private use. All use, reproduction or representation of the Site (in whole or in part) or of the elements which comprise it, on any media whatsoever, for other purposes, including, but not limited to, commercial purposes, is not authorized. By using this site you agree to abide by all applicable laws as well as any additional Copyright notices or restrictions as applicable from time to time. Piramal Foundation or any other third party shall be entitled to obtain equitable relief for any violation of their IP, over and above all other remedies available to it to protect its interests therein. Violators will be liable to be prosecuted to the maximum extent possibility under the relevant law. The Services is licensed to the User for accessing the Website and is not sold to User. Piramal Foundation owns the Services, its applications, proprietary rights and Trademarks on the Website.
4. Use of the Site: In the first place, we would like to remind you that use of the Site implies that you have the necessary hardware and software resources for use of the Internet available with yourself. Furthermore, we would like to remind you that the Internet does not allow the guarantying of the security, availability and integrity of data transmissions, accordingly we cannot be held liable in the event of errors, omissions, deletions, delays, faults (including, but not limited to, by the actions of viruses), of the lines of communication, the hardware and the software which is not under our control or in the event of non-authorized use or possible degradation of the content published on this Site.
5. General obligations of the User: We defend the values of toleration and of respect of the rights of others. This is the reason that this Site may not be used as a vehicle for racist, violent, xenophobic, malicious, obscene or illicit proposals.
6. In using this Site, you agree not to: Distribute, injurious, defamatory, non-authorized, malicious content, infringing on privacy or image rights, inciting violence, racial or ethnic hatred; use the Site for political, promotional or proselytizing purposes; publish promotional or advertising content; divert the Discussion Space from its intended purposes, including, but not limited to, using it as a dating service; distribute information or content capable of upsetting the sensibilities of the young; conduct illegal activities, including, but not limited to, infringing on the rights as to software, marks, photographs, images, text, video etc. We would like to stress that you must hold all rights and/or authorizations with respect to any applicable content that is in line with the purpose of this site which you wish to publish on this Site. In this regard, we recommend not publishing content (in particular photographs) showing recent architectural items, advertising creations, third party intellectual property rights
7. Specific stipulations for certain Segments: Various Segments may be made available to you on this Site: Downloadable Content, On-Line Applications, User Content, Discussion Space, etc. (the "Segments ").
9. Share Your opinions/experiences: We may make available on this Site a space permitting you to communicate with other users (the " Share Your Opinions/ Experiences"). The Discussion Space must be used in conformity with the applicable law in force, accepted standards of morality, the principles set forth herein and in compliance with the rights of others. Any information and comments or views given by you or any blogger in relation to any health condition, personal data, individuals, issues or any information whatsoever, are your own views/opinions and are given by you solely at your own will and accord and under the capacity of an independent viewer / blogger and the Company takes no responsibility as to the individual views expressed on this site by the User. All rights/liabilities with respect to the particular comments/views will lie with the particular User only and not with the company. Company under no circumstances shall be held responsible for any views expressed by the users on the site. Company assures to take all reasonable steps to filter the comments based on standards of morality and principles set forth under these T&C however, in case of any views/comments which appears contrary to the applicable law in force and/or to accepted standards of morality and/or the principles set forth herein and/or which infringes on the rights of others, please inform us at the following address: www.piramalfoundation.org
11. Access Restriction/Fees: Piramal Foundation reserves the right to deny, in its sole discretion, any User access to this Website or any portion thereof without notice or justification. Further Piramal Foundation reserves the right at any time to charge fees for access to any Services provided by it. It shall put up a notice to this effect with necessary details at the relevant point of time.
12. Limits on Personal and Non-Commercial Use: The User expressly agrees to use the Services strictly for personal purpose. The User shall not recompile, disassemble, copy, modify, distribute, transmit, display, perform, reproduce, publish or create derivative works from, transfer, or sell any information, software, products, tools or Services accessed from this Website. The User may not rent, lease, sell, sublicense, lend or in any manner allow any other party to use the Services, with or without consideration.
13. Privacy: The User represents that he is aware that in the process of subscribing to the Services or parts of it, Piramal Foundation may obtain information relating to the User, including that of a confidential nature. This information will be used by Piramal Foundation for its internal purposes and will be kept confidential. Notwithstanding anything contained above, Piramal Foundation reserves the right to disclose personal information where it believes in good faith that such disclosure is required by law, to perform necessary credit checks or collect or report debts owed to Piramal Foundation, to protect Piramal Foundation's rights or property or for other bonafide uses. The User agrees and warrants that all information that Piramal Foundation may possess or may obtain pursuant to the use of Services has been possessed or obtained with the permission of the User.
15. Indemnification : The User agrees to indemnify, defend and hold harmless Piramal Foundation, its officers, directors, employees, representatives and agents or any third party from and against any cause of action ,claim or demand, including without limitation any reasonable legal, accounting or other professional fees, brought by or on the user's behalf in excess of the liability described herein or by / on account of a third party due to or arising out of User's use of this Website, the Services contained herein, the violation of any intellectual property or any other right of any person or entity.
16. Disclaimer of warranties: Piramal Foundation warrants that it does not provide any professional financial advice on this Website. The User warrants that it shall obtain independent advice before making any Financial or other decision based on the Services provided through this Website. Piramal Foundation expressly disclaims all warranties and conditions of any kind, whether express, implied or statutory pertaining to the Services provided by it including but not limited to implied warranties and conditions of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, data accuracy and completeness and any warranties relating to viruses and non-infringement in the Services and provision of Services free from disruption or interruption. The Services should not be construed to be an advertisement for solicitation for Donations for non- governmental organizations or other charitable organizations listed in this Website. Piramal Foundation shall not be responsible for any loss or liability incurred to the user as a consequence of his/her or any other person on his behalf taking any financial, investment or other decisions based on the information, research reports, analysis, etc. provided on the Website or by usage of the Website. Piramal Foundation shall also not be liable for errors, omissions or typographical errors, disruption delay, interruption, failure, deletion or defect of/in the Services provided by it. Piramal Foundation warrant that the content, information or any activity conducted on this site is in accordance with all the applicable laws and regulations. Piramal Foundation shall not be liable, directly or indirectly, to the User or any third party, as a consequence of the failure of its equipment, howsoever defined, or that of Internet Services Provider, User or any third party to function in such manner as is reasonably expected of such equipment. Piramal Foundation shall not be responsible for any downtime of such equipment. Piramal Foundation makes no representations or warranties, either express or implied that the research, development, marketing, distribution, use or provision of the Services will not infringe any patent, copyright or other right of any third party.
18. Submissions: User agrees as a condition of viewing, that any communication between User and Website is deemed as submission. All submissions, including any data, queries, feedback, ideas, comments or suggestion shall become the exclusive property of Piramal Foundation or its affiliates and may be used, without further permission, for commercial or non-commercial use without additional consideration of any kind to User.
19. Monitoring: We have the right, but not the obligation, to monitor any activity and content associated with the W (s) and/or the Services. We may investigate any reported violation of these Conditions or complaints and take any action that we deem appropriate (which may include, but is not limited to, issuing warnings, suspending, terminating or attaching conditions to your access and/or removing any materials on the Website(s) and/or the Services).
20. NGO Listing: Piramal Foundation reserves the right to list, deny listing, or delist any NGO from the Website. Submission of documents by a NGO does not in itself guarantee automatic listing. Piramal Foundation shall not be liable, directly or indirectly, to any other NGO or any third party, as a consequence of listing, denying listing, or delisting of any NGO.
Thank you for reaching out to us. Someone from our team will get in touch with you
All the contents of this site are only for general information or use. All Information, blogs, services
included in or available through Piramal Foundation are based on accumulated data and may
include inaccuracies or typographical errors.
Except for informational, non-commercial or academic use, user may not modify, reproduce or distribute the design or layout of this website or individual section of the design or layout of the website or logos or any content or material on this site without prior written permission of Piramal Foundation. Piramal Foundation excludes any warranty, express or implied, as to the quality, accuracy and completeness of the site, or any products, process or services referred to in the site. Piramal Foundation will not be liable whether in contract, tort, strict liability or otherwise for any direct, indirect, incidental, consequential or special damages arising out of or in any way connected with access to or use of this site or any content, information, materials or services herein.
The copyright of this site and all of its contents remains solely with Piramal Foundation. Piramal Foundation may provide, as a convenience, links to websites operated by other entities and persons, but does not endorse or accept any responsibility for the content, or the use of such websites. No warranty of any kind including but not limited to the warranties of non- infringement of third party rights, title, merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose and freedom from computer virus – is given with respect to the contents of this website or its hyperlinks to other internet resources.
Views expressed by the speakers/ users of the site either in the form of video, blogs or text are their individual views/opinions and do not represent the views of Piramal Foundation and are given solely at the own will and accord and Piramal Foundation is no way takes responsibility as to the individual; views expressed on this site by the User, and no action can lie against Piramal Foundation for the content thereof. Users agree to indemnify and hold Piramal Foundation, it’s officers and employee’s harmless from any claim, demand or damage including reasonable attorney fee, asserted by any third party due to or arising out of user’s use of or conduct on Piramal Foundation services. Piramal Foundation reserved the right to disclose any information about the use of Piramal Foundation services, including its content without user’s prior permission.
Piramal Foundation undertakes that the content, information or any activity conducted on this site is in accordance with all the applicable laws and regulations.
Notwithstanding the foregoing, Piramal Foundation reserves the right to modify the site and/or the disclaimer at any point of time and users are deemed to be apprised of and bound by any such modifications. If any provision of this disclaimer shall be held to be invalid, illegal or unenforceable for any reason, the validity, legality and enforceability of the remaining provisions shall not in any way be affected or impaired thereby.